Monday, September 11, 2006

Literature: Shadow of a Phantom

Gabriel Augustine Rampage is a literary affectation, a fictive character from the mind of an unpublished and unaccomplished writer, a protagonist with no message, an antagonist with no propaganda. He is a Southerner as characters from other regions are uninteresting and two-dimensional. He is typically flawed as most Southerners are and does not apologize for it. Of Catholic French extraction, Rampage embraces all of the questions that come his way equally. Real or not, every character consumes the space of personality. The following is a questionnaire completed by Rampage in preparation for an interview.

I live in: Tyre, Arkansas, a small town outside of Fort Smith

Birth date: December 5, 1961, 150th anniversary of Mozart’s death

Occupation: Writer…a wasted life

My all-time favorite song is: “What a Friend We have in Jesus”

My all-time favorite movie is: Ben Hur

My all-time favorite book is: Machine’s Way by Hugo Driver.

My most prized possession is: The ability to read.

The best advice I was ever given is: to never follow any advice.

The food I will never eat is: There is none

My favorite holiday is: Christmas, for obvious reasons.

The most daring thing I’ve ever done is: tell the truth.

The hardest thing I’ve ever done is: notify my parents of my brother’s death.

The person who has had the greatest influence on my life is: Who else?...My father.

My favorite childhood memory was: I was never a child.

My greatest fear is: Living forever.

© Copyright, C. Michael Bailey, 2006